This isn’t a new subject for me.
So I compiled a NEW list of possibilities:
The musiccritic.com crew have put together what they consider the 10 Best Lavalier Mics in June 2020 .
- 1. The PowerDeWise Grade Lavalier Lapel has one thing different from just about every other lapel mic – a complimentary 78-inch anti-friction extension cable… no wait, most are now this long.
- 2. The AUFGELD Small Mini Lavalier is surprisingly cheap considering all that it includes, particularly the neoprene pouch. OK, I am being nasty now. There is nothing exceptional about this mic.
- 3. Wow, it is the Rode smartLav+ Omni-directional. I agree with their BLINGO description:
“It is a wearable microphone design which is exceptionally well engineered to provide premium signal resolution on par with standardized film, television, and studio broadcast lavaliers.”
Yet I don’t feel it’s enough…
- 4. The MAONO AU100 Lavalier Mic actually looks the part. I like the large foam on the mic – thus giving the impression of a journalists mic. An ON/OFF switch is also handy.
Other Options via Google-Shopping
5. Grandado.com has a dual-mic lavalier, the Andoer USB Dual-head Lavalier Lapel , available at a low price. Possibly the lapel-mic you leave at the bottom of the bag for emergencies when the high-quality is left at the office.
6. If holding a light-sabre is fun, the Boya BY-HM100 Omni-Directional Wired Handheld Dynamic Microphone is perfect for interviewing young people and sci-fi nerds.
7. For desk-based vlogs I can see how the MAONO USB Microphone Omnidirectional Wired with pop-filter would certainly add an air of professionalism whilst not being overly grandiose.
8. Despite the hefty price, this dual-plug RODE – Rode SC6L Mobile Interview Kit w/ SC6L & smartLav+ – has a professional style about it that could be utilized both in the radio station and out in the field.
9. This is my lavalier of choice – the Rode smartLav+ Lavalier Microphone for Smartphones . Its lifespan is lengthy if you store it away from children and kittens.
Don’t take my word for it.
10. This is what you get when you need it all in one – the recording, saving, sound quality, and ease of transfer back to their computer for the tech-guy to compile easily:
The Tascam DR-X Series Handheld Recorder.
Tascam have a few other products that would appeal to the semi-professional vlogger or journalist taking their job on the run.
- TM-2X — Stereo Microphone for DSLR – Seriously, this would make you look cool in a sea of celebrities all wanting to be seen being seen.
- TM-AR1 – Acoustic Control Filter – Being able to record vocals and instruments with minimal background noise, how awesome!
- TM-90BM – Boundary Condenser Microphone – Having this on the desk during a meeting, interview or multiple instruments would give the sound-man an easier time.
They are at the cheaper end of the price -range, yet the look and feel of TASCAM Headphones should appeal to radio presenters working from home and need to block out the sound of children.
Which one will you choose?
Of the list above, most should make both vloggers and radio-presenters happier to do their job. Well, it does for me. What do you think of the list? Could you find any better? Please comment below if you do!